|Poppie’s Lane restaurant, 1983. Open air cooking.|
Not that late, only 9.30pm, but …
- Just had a fantastic meal – bruschetta, superbly done, all olive oil flavour with really tasty tomato and garlic; salt and pepper squid, ditto; and three Bintangs. Total $19 including tips and tax. Replete.
- Surprising to see a woman (an Asian woman, at that) sit down at a table and light up a smoke. Not that I care (much) – but you just don’t see that at home any more, do you?
- I read the Bali edition of the Jakarta Post which includes the International Herald Tribune. I have no trouble deciding on my support for Julian Assange. Nomination for Nobel Prize in my opinion. How dare Vice President of the United States Joe Biden say he’s a terrorist, and in effect say, if he hasn’t broken any of our laws, we’ll pass new laws that will allow us to prosecute him!
What!!!!??? Retrospective law? What happened to the First Amendment of the US Constitution? What happened to the rule of law? What happened to due process? What happened to presumption of innocence?
The hypocrisy of the US is boundless. They have lost all my respect. They are no better than China, Yemen, Iran, Syria, all the deplorable regimes. Torture. Mass bombings of civlians and political assassinations. Capital punishment even for minors and mental defectives. Revenge, more like it. Cruel and unusual punishment is outlawed in their constitution for Dog’s sake. I am livid. As individuals, they’re OK, but as a country, I despise them. They’ve gone insane. Genocidal killers.
I predict that Julian Assange will be killed, murdered, assassinated, executed, terminated with extreme prejudice, whatever you want to call it by the United States, that former bastion of freedom. I despise the country now.
|Changing weather, Kintimani 1986|
- One of the items in the paper was how bad the weather is in Bali at the moment – storms, torrential rains, flooded rivers, rough seas, pictures of piles of debris on the beach at Kuta. I’ve seen lots of rain, but I don’t mind. They mention part of the cause is the wild weather in WA (Carnarvon floods). Ooops, sorry Bali.
- Always mindful of security, I’ve brought wire cables and locks for the computer, suitcase and camera bag. But this room is so modern that there’s simply nowhere I can thread the wire cables through! Every surface is seamless and hole free. Huh! Luckily the door is solid and card operated and there’s a mini safe, but it’s too small to take much. Won’t take the laptop.
- Ditto for the fridge cabinet. There’s a fridge and mini bar, but there’s no handle or knob on the door of the cabinet. I just about break my fingernails opening the door!
- The bathroom is likewise super modern and super smooth, so much that the floor is actually dangerous. When there’s soap on the floor in the shower, I have to be super careful not to slip, BUT there’s nothing to grab onto. Crazy. I’ve told the desk and they very quickly sent a big rubber mat for the shower recess. But if I slipped and injured myself, I would seriously consider holding the hotel to account. It’s so obviously dangerous.
- Likewise, the towel rails/frames and the shower head. They are so high up that I nearly topple in reaching for them. Dangerous.
- Speaking of hypocrisy, I can’t claim innocence, but at the Perth airport duty free, there was a bottle of whisky priced at $2,999 awaiting a buyer. Having spent $50, I’m a hypocrite I suppose, but to spend $3,000 on a bottle of whisky when there is so much poverty … I don’t like it.
Rant over. Malam.